CDT Update Links

Road Walking-May 24 & 25

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

     Thru-hikers HATE road walks! Trails are far more interesting and much easier on the feet and legs. This section of the CDT should be named the CDR or Continental Divide ROAD! From NM Hwy 12 to Pie Town was 40 miles of dirt road walking and no trail. The next 85 miles to Grants, New Mexico is road walking as well- 35 miles on asphalt paved highways. The only positive thing about road walking I can think of is that it doesn't require much navigation focus or fancy footwork. So I have plenty of time to listen to sermon podcasts. I've already listened to some great sermons and plan on sharing some thoughts on what I'm learning over the next few days. Hopefully by the time I get to Grants I'll have something in writing.
     But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's talk about Pie Town! There are fifty people that live in Pie Town, New Mexico year-round, but mostly it's a tourist stop on interstate highway US 60. There are no paved roads in Pie Town except for the highway. There are three restaurants in town, although it seems they are never open on the same days. The Pie-O-Neer only sells pie and is closed during the winter. It opens each year on "pi day" March 14 (3.14)...isn't that special.
     I'm spending the night in Pie Town at a house nicknamed "the toaster house" for reasons that should be obvious from the pictures. It is owned by a woman named Nita, and she raised her family of five children here. In the 1980s, when she discovered her home was on the CDT, she began providing food, laundry, showers, and lodging for hikers. (There were very few hikers before 2000.) She no longer lives at the toaster house, but she loves hikers and leaves it open for us to use. She stops by on a regular basis to meet hikers, take pictures and restock the freezer with frozen pizza! She deserves the trail angel of the year award!
     I met a hiker in Reserve named Fat Albert (pictured above) from Arkansas, and we hiked together on the 24th and shared a campsite that evening. (His trail name is related to the size of his backpack.) We are both at the toaster house, along with eight other hikers. Two are injured and have been here for almost week nursing their injuries. There are also five cyclists spending the night who are riding from Mexico to Canada. Four are all the way from Australia. I'm not familiar with the cycling route, but obviously it goes through Pie Town.
     After a good nights rest, I'll get breakfast in town, pick up my resupply box at the post office, and leave around noon. The next water source is 16 miles at the Thomas Ranch. They are a retired couple that provide water and allow camping on their property. My goal is to get there before dark, spend the night, and leave early the next morning with lots of water and ready for more ROAD walking.
My overall mileage is now over 300 miles and I'm approximately half way through New Mexico. I'm hearing reports that there is some snow in Northern New Mexico and TONS of snow in Colorado. It's going to get EXCITING! Two more weeks and I get to see Eva!

Comments