CDT Update Links

It's Just 20 Miles A Day


“Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.” (Back to the Future, 1985)

Today I am hiking in the desert of New Mexico. I don't have cell service and am too busy with route finding to think about much else, but I know you were looking forward to a new blog post so I wrote one for you in advance. No need to thank me...it's my pleasure!

Below is a graph showing the altitude change along the Continental Divide Trail. It's a very compressed graph, but it gives you a good idea of how much change there is. You can click on the image to make it bigger! The total altitude change is equal to climbing and descending Mt. Everest fourteen times, climbing and descending a  ladder 79 miles high, or, a total of 1.25 million stairs! I'm getting tired just thinking about it!
As you can see from the graph above, most of the trail is not flat, but this first section of the trail is the exception. Below is a graph of the first 144 miles.
You want even more info...check out this page:

Continental Divide Trail Data Book - Section NM1 - NM6

Continental Divide Trail - Section NM1 - NM6

Comments

  1. You're not only an ambitious man, but very eloquent. We look forward to the updates of your adventures as if we are reading a book so thrilling that we can't put it down, but unable to read ahead to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at the compressed graph and want to just "snap" the wrinkles out and smooth it out for you! As I prepare my talk on evaluating the sensibility of our hands I know every ridge in our fingertips is meant to increase the understanding of our environment. The surface area with the many lines increases the number of receptors so we can perceive and know even with our eyes closed. You have before you ridges that reveal to you the greatness of God's creation. I wouldn't want you to miss a single one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully written, Jolene! What glorious imagery that is. Not only has God given us the good gifts of His creation to delight in, but He has truly given creation to us that we might know Him. It reminds me of one of Loren's favorite quotes, "Grace does not compete with nature, it reveals it for what it's supposed to be: God's good creation in which we should rejoice and be glad."

      Delete
    2. Both thoughts are so very good. - Denise Hughes

      Delete
  3. A 5 month journey. Wow! Those are some daunting statistics you posted. I pray protection over you and your family during this time. I hope you remembered to bring some moleskin. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got moleskin and Compeed blister pads. They are awesome! After a few hundred miles, blisters are not a problem.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know you are following along!